Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Wednesday, June 07, 2006
I just received some spam from people calling themselves the "DOMAlN LlSTING CENTER". It described itself as a "final notice" and asked for $75 for what they called "ANNUAL WEBSlTE SEARCH ENGlNE SUBMISSlON".
They are evil spammers, using very dodgy business techniques. Have nothing to do with the folk at:
Domain Listing Center Inc.
8171 Yonge St. Suite# 149
Thornhill, ON L3T 2C6
What did they do wrong?
- They spammed me - unsolicited bulk email is one of the curses of today's Internet.
- They used an email address which is only used as the administrative contact for a domain we own, and which has been used for no other purpose. There is no legitimate way they could have got this email address.
- They tried to trick me (and all their other victims) into thinking this was an actual bill - not just an ad. Be wary of unexpected bills!
- They forged the sending address.
- They provided a nonexistent "unsubscribe" hotmail address. At least they won't have harvested many email addresses if anyone was daft enough to mail that address.
- They have failed to commit hugely painful ritual suicide!
Bah! Spammers! Hanging's too good for them!
Don't EVER buy ANYTHING from spammers - however much you might want the product. It's the one moron in a million who bites that makes the whole spamming racket so profitable.
Just say no.
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
I was shocked when I saw the following article on wikipedia:
Are they taking themselves too seriously? Is it just an American thing? Irony bypass? Too many lawyers?
Maybe it's a deliberately ironic jab at the modern need to provide labels and warnings with everything? We can only hope!
Monday, June 05, 2006
I added categories to this blogger blog a while ago (because they weren't there, and because I thought that some people might not want to read about computing - shocking, I know!). Then I thought I needed an easier way to edit the categories than fiddling with the blog's template, so I wrote a wee script to do all the fiddling.
Unfortunately it didn't seem to work - or so I thought - so I left it for a while. When I came to look at it again, lo and behold, it had been working all along. The template was indeed being updated with the new categories. I'd just forgotten that updating a template on its own was no good - The old pages would still be sitting there, serenely unaffected by any new but unused template. I needed to republish the blog as well. I felt a bit silly.
But it's working now - so I don't feel all that silly :-)
I think I feel a bout of creeping featuritis coming on. Wouldn't it be nice if it could also...
Saturday, June 03, 2006
Yes, they even have their own website. But since they don't have any pictures of the wedding up there yet, here are a few to get things started!
Some of their friends, old and young (or maybe old and new), were there to see them off!
There were some ex-skiers, illustrating Olga's artistic talents (Olga can explain all - I'm not going to).
And some fellow barn-dwellers!
It was a great day, and a wonderful chance to catch up with old friends. Some danced far into the night - others just put their feet up, and talked far into the night :-)